01/7Delicious recipes with millets
Wheat flour has been the household staple of all Indian homes. From chapati and paratha to halwa and bread, wheat flour is used to make a number of dishes. With the trend of healthy eating spreading rapidly across the world, people are slowly including different grains in their food habits to make their daily diet a bouquet of healthy food items. Millet is an umbrella category that includes a number of grains under it. Loaded with nutrients and fibre, millets can be a healthy addition to your regular diet. Here are some easy recipes you can try with different types of millets. (image credits-istock)
Ingredients required- ½ cup jowar grains, 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 dry red chilli, 1 tsp urad dal, ½ tsp grated ginger, 1 tsp mustard seeds, ¼ tsp asafoetida, ½ tsp red chilli powder and salt as per taste.
- Wash and soak the jowar for 6 hours.
- Now add it to a pressure cooker along with some salt and 2 cups of water. Pressure cook for two whistles. Drain excess water and collect it in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds, dry red chilli, urad dal and grated ginger. Saute them for a few minutes.
- Now add chopped onion and saute it for a few minutes. Lastly add chopped carrot, salt, red chilli powder and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked jowar grains and cover with a lid. Let the upma cook for 5 minutes.
- Your Jowar Upma is now ready to be served. (image credits- istock)
Ingredients required- 1 cup ragi flour, 1/2 cup powdered jaggery, 1/4 cup ghee and ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
- Roast the ragi flour for about 5-6 minutes on low flame in a pan. After roasting the flour, add ⅓ cup ghee to the flour and mix it. Roast it for 5 minutes. Now switch off the flame.
- After this step add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder and add 3/4 cup jaggery powder. Mix the mixture very well for 1-2 minutes. Break the tiny lumps of jaggery if any with a spoon or spatula. Take the pan off the flame and let it cool down a bit.
- Now grease your hands and make small laddoos from the mixture. Your Ragi Laddoos are ready to be served. (image credits- istock)
04/7Kodo Millet Porridge
Ingredients required- ½ cup kodo millet, 1 litre milk, ¼ cup powdered jaggery and 1 teaspoon ghee.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add kodo millets and roast them for a few minutes.
- Now add milk to the pan and keep the heat medium. Cook the millets for 10-12 minutes or until the millet grains turn glassy.
- Once the porridge is cooked completely, add 2 tablespoons of jaggery powder and stir.
- Your Kodo Millet porridge is ready to be served. (image credits- istock)
Ingredients required- ½ bajra flour, ½ cup wheat flour, ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder, ¼ teaspoon baking powder and 4 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- Mix all dry ingredients well. Now add 4 tablespoon butter or ghee and mix well to form a soft dough. Now, preheat your oven at 190°C for about 10 mins.
- Now divide the dough to make small balls and flatten them with your hands to give the shape of a biscuit.
- Place in a greased baking tray and bake it for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are baked completely.
- You can add some nuts or choco chips to the cookies to make them tastier. (image credits- istock)
06/7Kuttu Fusion Dosa
Ingredients required- ½ cup ragi flour, ¼ cup wheat flour, ¼ tsp black pepper powder, ¼ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder and salt as per taste.
- Add ragi and wheat flour to a bowl.
- Now add all the spices like salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and mix well.
- Add water in batches and mix the ingredients together to prepare a runny batter.
- Now just heat a tawa and drizzle some oil on it. Spread a ladleful of batter and spread in circular motions to make a thin layer of dosa.
- Cook until golden brown from both sides and serve. (image credits- istock)
Ingredients required- 1/4 cup jowar flour, 1/4 cup wheat flour, 2 eggs, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 mashed banana, 3 tablespoon honey and 1/4 cup milk.
- Add jowar flour, wheat flour, baking powder and salt to a bowl. Mix the mashed banana, eggs, honey and milk in a separate bowl. Now mix liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Now heat a non-stick pan, drizzle a few drops of oil on it and pour a ladle of batter on it. Cook from both sides and your pancake is ready.
- You can add some honey, banana slices and choco chips as a garnish.
For scrumptious recipes, videos and exciting food news, subscribe to our free Daily and Weekly Newsletters.